From the BRIC:
We are very grateful to all who have graced our doorways over this past year and look forward to serving our community in the coming year. Speaking of the year ahead, you may have heard about the changes that are happening at the BRIC and we’d like to do a recap for you:
- Michael Salogga will be moving physically to City Hall on January 5th and will be reporting directly to the City Manager. He will continue to offer free business counseling through the Nevada Small Business Development Center (SBDC), free lunchtime classes (see below) as well as the NxLeveL class starting in January. He will also be taking on some new challenges related to process improvement, communication and analysis for City projects. You can still reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org and 775-283-7122.
- The business branch of the Carson City Library at the BRIC will be relocated to the main branch. The BRIC computer lab and other library resources will be closing at5:00 PM on January 9th and reopen at the main branch on January 26th.
- The policy on conference room usage at the BRIC will be changing. As of January 12th, a city employee must be present during all meetings scheduled at the BRIC. Other options for meeting space include the Collaboration Room at the @Two Digital Learning Center at the library and the Ormsby Room at the Sheriff’s Office. All organizations have been contacted who had reservations that are impacted by the change in policy.
- The Permit Center and business license counters at the BRIC will be moving downstairs in order to provide an increased level of customer service. The building department will also be moving downstairs. The planning department along with some engineering functions as well as Redevelopment will be upstairs.
- The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program will be relocated to the main branch of the library. Tammy Westergard will be the site coordinator. Volunteers are still needed to be tax preparers. You can contact Tammy at 775-887-2244 x1007.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please call Michael directly at 775-283-7122.
NxLeveL for Entrepreneurs class
And please remember, we have a great education opportunity coming up. Please let everyone know that the BRIC will be hosting the NxLeveL for Entrepreneurs class starting on January 22nd and running for 15 weeks. This college level course will teach you the in’s and out’s of how to write a business plan and grow your business while getting insight from guest speakers every week on topics from marketing, operations and finance. And there will be homework that is designed to get that plan developed a little at a time.
Students usually represent both new and existing businesses. And this year for students at Western Nevada College, they will be able to take the class for credit that can be transferred to UNR. Just sign up for ENT 200! So whether you are starting up or looking to grow your business, click here to learn more and to register.
The Business Resource Innovation Center (BRIC) is city partnership of the Office of Business Development, the Carson City Library, Building, Engineering, Planning and Business License. The BRIC is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is located at 108 E. Proctor Street in Carson City.