Along with a panel of local judges, tech giant Google this week announced the five winning nonprofits for Nevada’s inaugural Google.org Impact Challenge.
Each of the five winning organizations, announced Nov. 19, will receive $175,000 for the following work:
- JOIN Inc.: Providing technology and employability training for those who are entering, adapting to and advancing in today’s technology-rich, innovation-focused job market.
- Nevada Institute for Autonomous Systems (NIAS): Equipping underserved young adults with the critical skills, knowledge, and resilience to enter innovative fields, like autonomous systems, through education, mentorship, and on-the-job training.
- Nevada Small Business Development Center: Supporting Nevada entrepreneurs with access to resources they can use to succeed.
- Nevada Industry Excellence: Bringing manufacturing and tech together to make Industry 4.0 a reality in the Silver State.
- UNSHAKEABLE: Guiding women recovering from trauma, including sex trafficking, substance addiction, domestic abuse and homelessness, to reenter the workforce and start a career that can help, ensure financial independence and sustainable self-reliant living.
As an example of how the donations may be used, workforce development organization JOIN Inc. plans to use the money to launch “Career Bound NV Success Skills,” a training program designed to ensure Nevadans have access to basic technology and employability skills training needed for successful employment.
For the next stage of the Google.org Impact Challenge, the public can visit g.co/nevadachallenge to learn more about the nominees and vote for one organization to be named the ‘People’s Choice’ winner awarded an additional $125,000.
Voting ends Tuesday, Nov. 26, at 11:59 p.m.
Google had previously selected a panel of Nevada judges to review applications from nonprofits across the state; the panel chose the above five winners based on proposals that included “bold and creative ideas to create economic opportunity in their communities,” according to the company.
The Nevada Google.org Impact Challenge statewide judge’s panel includes:
- Dave Archer, President and Chief Executive Officer, Nevada’s Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology
- Chris Askin, CEO and President, Community Foundation of Western Nevada
- Doug Erwin, Senior Vice President Entrepreneurial Development, Economic Development Authority of Western Nevada
- Peter Guzman, President, Latin Chamber of Commerce
- Mary Kerner, CEO, Rural Nevada Development Corporation
- Amy Purdy, International Motivational Speaker, 3x Paralympic Medalist and NY Times Best-selling Author
- Former Gov. Brian Sandoval, 30th Nevada Governor
- Marybeth Sewald, President and CEO, Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce
Read the full article at nnbusinessview.com.