University of Nevada, Reno Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
August 12, 2015
5:30 – 6:00 pm Networking / 6:00 – 7:30 pm Program
Visit MARS: No Space Suit Required
MARS is as close as the University of Nevada, Reno campus.
Not the red planet, obviously — but the Mathewson Automated Retrieval System, which is known on campus by its easier-to-reference (and remember) acronym.
An insider’s look at the robotic book retrieval system is just one of the highlights of the upcoming Tech Wednesday tour of Nevada’s Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center.
If you graduated more than a few years ago, you may be familiar with more traditional college libraries, which featured a whisper-only policy, microfiche readers and card catalogs organized using the Dewey Decimal System.
But technology has ushered a whole new era of “library” into existence.
Nevada’s Knowledge Center is known as the intellectual nexus of the region, housing an expansive collection of books, journals and data in both print and electronic formats, as well as an extensive collection of videos, DVDs and sound recordings that are accessible through state-of-the-art viewing and listening areas.
But the library has evolved into a technological marvel that goes beyond a repository for print and electronic information.
Tech Wednesday will introduce visitors to the 295,000-square-foot facility and provide an overview of:
- The robotic MARS device
- @One, an entire floor of the Knowledge Center dedicated to digital and multimedia production and application
- Specialized labs within the Knowledge Center for data analysis, visualization and media production
- An overview of the makerspace in the DeLaMare Science and Engineering Library — a specialty library for earth sciences, chemical, civil, computer, electrical, geological, mechanical, metallurgical, and mining engineering
The Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center is online at http://knowledgecenter.unr.edu/libraries/
August 12, 2015, 5:30 – 7:30
• $15 – NCET members
• $25 – non-members
• $10 – Children under 18 accompanied by parent or adult guardian
NCET events have been selling out! RSVP early so you don’t miss this great event.
NCET members receive substantial discounts on NCET events and your membership pays for itself quickly. Join NCET now and save!
The fine print:
• We encourage you to pay in advance as there’s a $10 service charge if you pay at the door.
• No-shows will be charged the full amount of the reservation unless cancelled at least 48 hours before the event.
For more information, contact NCET at (775) 453-0130 or info@NCET.org.