NCET helps you explore business and technology
By Rebecca Brown
What is one exercise that can boost your mental, social, emotional and physical wellbeing?
Not a question that’s often asked and explored in the business world, but one that is key to unlocking a myriad of personal and professional benefits.
The answer: Laughter Yoga.
Based on the idea that anyone can laugh for no reason at all, laughter yoga allows us access to hearty, sustained laughter as a form of exercise.
When was the last time you shared a hearty belly laugh with co-workers or family members?
What if you made the choice to do so every day?
Here’s a sampling of the benefits of leveraging laughter in leadership and in life:
- Laughter is a great connector of people as it breaks down the hierarchy that may be present and levels the playing field. Barriers come down and individuals can connect authentically with one another.
- Laughter allows an individual to tap into and connect with his or her creativity and innovation.
- Laughter brings a boost of fresh oxygen into one’s brain and into one’s body. In doing so it boosts one’s mood within seconds which in turn improves morale, performance and motivation.
- Laughter yoga helps to build confidence and self-esteem as it brings on a smile and enhances communication.
- Laughter yoga releases the negative effects of stress on the body. It also releases negative emotions resulting in better relationships with colleagues.
So what are some ways to incorporate more laughter and joy into the workplace?
- Choose to laugh. It all starts with making laughter a priority. Choose to laugh for 15 minutes each and every day. Science has shown that our bodies can’t tell the difference between fake and real laughter, so even if you don’t feel like laughing, you can fake it.
- Create opportunities for laughter in your life and in the workplace. Bring laughter into the next board meeting, team meeting or networking opportunity.
- Make a list of things that light you up and bring you joy. Commit to doing one thing from that list every day.
- Connect authentically with those around you. Share more of who you truly are with those around you and open up to being more joyful, playful and vulnerable.
We’ve all heard that “laughter is the best medicine,” why not give yourself a dose of this free medicine? Join me on December 12 at Rounds Bakery to experience the joy of laughter yoga and tap into a bit of fun and playfulness during the holiday season.
Learn more about Cultivating the Laughter Life at NCET’s Biz Cafe on December 12. NCET is a member-supported nonprofit organization that produces educational and networking events to help people explore business and technology. More info at NCETcafe.org.
Rebecca Brown is a Speaker, Coach and Laughter Yoga Teacher based in Reno serving clients globally. She is on a mission to redefine abundance by bridging the worlds of play, purpose and prosperity. Find out more about Rebecca at rebeccabrowncoaching.com.