NCET helps you explore business and technology
By Andrea Quiruz
Marketing for your small business is a challenge that is as fluid as it is complex. Across the ever-changing landscapes of online marketing and social media advertising, developing a strategy that incorporates many different platforms, while maintaining a cohesive and genuine brand message can be a perpetual struggle.
The trend towards capitalizing on content marketing is a strategy that’s proving beneficial for companies at all levels, but particularly for those smaller businesses hoping to regain market share that has recently been lost to e-commerce monopolies such as Amazon, Vistaprint and the like.
The hard truth is, these national corporations have taken hold (or are about to) of roughly 70% of the national market share for their respective industries. That leaves the rest of the local small business owners to grapple for the remaining 30%.
One strategy that large companies are using masterfully is content marketing. This buzz-word, “Content Marketing,” is popping up throughout the marketing community, lending to the question: What is content marketing, and why should you be adding it to your mix?
It’s simple. Content marketing is reaching your audience through meaningful online materials to generate interest in your product or service without explicitly advertising them.
You’ve probably been “content marketing” for years without consciously defining your strategies.
However, to make the most of the internet and google search, businesses are now being called to generate content like never before.
While there are many reasons to begin content marketing for your business through your website, blog and social media, below are five of the most paramount:
– Your competitors are doing it
– If done right, you’ll increase website traffic
– You’ll demonstrate authority in your field
– You can show off your company personality
– You can keep up with the progression of your brand
Take a look at the previously mentioned e-commerce giant, Amazon. Aside from their social media advertising and Google search rankings, content marketing is something they do extremely well. You may have noticed when perusing your favorite blog or website, that somewhere within every article (as part of the body of the content) are links to products being sold on Amazon.
These blog writers are not referencing Amazon products merely because they organically want to; Amazon pays these folks to link to their products in a process called Link Building. That is content marketing at work, and it works like a charm.
While that’s a small taste of what content marketing can do, the potential is exponential. Using a blog, vlog or any other online material can propel your small business up the Google search ladder and grow your revenue and overall market share.
Andrea Quiruz is the Marketing Director of the Barracuda Championship and the Owner and lead content writer for Reno Content and NCET’s VP of Special Events. NCET is a member-supported non-profit that produces educational and networking events to help people explore business and technology.