NCET explores business and technology
By Dave Archer
What do power strips, toilet stalls, popcorn, sausage, earthquakes and timing belts have in common? They’re associated with products and services produced by companies that won the 2017 NCET Technology and Reno Gazette-Journal Business of the Year Awards.
One of the many things I love about working at NCET is getting to meet the incredible people and companies who drive our vibrant and diverse business and technology community. One of the ways I discover them is through the annual NCET Technology and RGJ Business Awards.
Now in its 10th year, the NCET Awards recognize people and companies in a variety of technology fields, as well as the people and organizations who support them; while the RGJ recognizes outstanding businesses in small, medium and large categories as well as the year’s best new business. The EDAWN Awards recognize the resources that play an integral part in contributing to the growth of our community. This year, we’ll recognize about thirty amazing companies, organizations and people!
Now, back to power strips, toilet stalls, popcorn, sausage, earthquakes and batteries:
· To be fair, saying that Server Technology, NCET’s 2017 Hall of Fame inductee and runner-up for RGJ’s Large Company of the Year, makes “power strips” is like saying Lamborghini makes cars. What they really make are intelligent power solutions for data centers, telecommunications, and sophisticated power management. (www.servertech.com)
· Peep No More, NCET’s Microenterprise Company of the Year, makes is unnecessary to go through the familiar and awkward ritual of bending over to look for feet to find a vacant stall. Its products are used today in the Aces Ballpark, Mackay Stadium, Giants AT&T Park & Padres Petco Park! (www.peepnomore.com)
· Flocchini Family Provisions, in a tie for NCET’s Food Manufacturer / Processing Company of the Year, carries on the tradition of making handcrafted sausages using whole muscle meat and simple ingredients (www.flocchinisausage.com) while Angie’s BOOMCHICKAPOP makes a variety of gluten-free kettle corn and popcorn (www.boomchickapop.com)
· Dynamic Isolation Systems, Inc., NCET’s Manufacturing Company of the Year, is a world leader in earthquake protection with products that include Lead Rubber Bearings, Viscous Wall Dampers and a range of non-structural isolation products that protect equipment and building contents. (www.dis-inc.com)
· CoAuto, RGJ’s Medium Business of the Year, is “Reno’s Community Auto Shop” that – in addition to performing virtually every type of auto repair – also provides auto-repair internships, free auto maintenance educational workshops, and donates cars to deserving local families. (www.coautonv.com)
NCET, the Reno Gazette-Journal and EDAWN will honor each of the winners at the NCET / RGJ Awards Dinner on at 5 pm on Thursday, March 30 at the Atlantis Casino Resort Spa. You can learn more about all thirty winners and purchase tickets for the Awards Dinner at www.NCETawards.com.
Dave Archer is President /CEO of NCET, a member-supported non-profit that produces educational and networking events to help people explore business and technology. www.NCET.org. Each month, NCET conducts behind-the-scenes tours of companies like these at the NCET Tech Wednesday events. More info at www.NCETwed.org.
This column originally appeared in the Reno Gazette-Journal.